INDIAN HEAD MASSAGE
Massage has always been an important feature of Indian family life. Head massage has been practiced for over 1000 years in India and originally developed as a part of their grooming routine.
The traditional art of Indian head massage is based on the ancient system of medicine known as Ayurveda. This is recorded as India’s oldest healing system. The word ‘Ayurveda’ comes from Sanskrit and means the ‘science of life and longevity’.
Though Indian head massage was originally designed for use on the head only, today it has been westernised to include other parts of the body vulnerable to stress such as the shoulders, upper arms and neck.
This particular massage keeps hair healthy, improves hair growth and hair condition but also takes on the role of a stress management treatment by incorporating the neck, shoulders and upper arms in the massage.
Benefits of head massage:
- Improvement in hair condition
- Reduction in stress levels, alleviating tension/migraine headaches
- Increased energy levels and improved sleep patterns
- Improves posture, joint mobility & relieves pain and discomfort
- Promotes a general sense of well being
- Increases circulation and lymphatic drainage
Contra indications to this massage:
- high temperature or fever
- acute infectious disease
- skin or scalp infections